What is a Pre-Poo? It’s a process done with an oil or conditioner before using a clarifying shampoo. Using an oil and conditioner together is also an option. This process puts moisture back into your hair. During this process shed hair is easier to get out. The oil and conditioner gives you the “slip” needed helping with detangling.
Doing this process before washing my hair has cut down my wash time tremendously. This is a process I do if I’ve had a style up longer than 1 week without washing my hair or restyling it.
I get less breakage when I pre-poo because I am not manipulating my hair more than I should be while detangling. The conditioner and oil make it easier to get out the small knots that sometimes become “single strand knots” I get less of these when I pre-poo.
These are some of my favorite inexpensive conditioners to use as a pre-poo.
1. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner. This conditioner is thick and it has enough slip to get most shed hair out with out an oil. Adding an oil will help speed up the detangling process.
2. Tresemmé Moisture Rich Luxurious Moisture Conditioner. This is great for adding moisture back into your hair to help you manipulate and detangle I always add an oil to this conditioner it adds more “slip” for those smaller tangles
3. Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner this is similar to #2. It was a staple of mine years ago I actually bought a Gallon of this to pre-poo with. I was obsessed & my hair loved it. I always added an oil.
4. Aussie Mega Moist Conditioner. It’s not as thick as #1 but it’s not a thin conditioner. It has great “slip” you can use it without an oil.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) . There is not a particular brand I recommend. I have never bought a bad bottle of olive oil so I don’t have a preference. This is my staple. It’s what I started with.
2. Coconut Oil. I see people having a love/hate relationship with this oil & I love it although it is not what I started using when I went Natural.